Everyone faces stress in their lives and for many of us it occurs at work when deadlines get tight. We all think that stress is a terrible thing and it is bad for our health. However, Time Magazine gives us 5 reasons to believe that stress can actually be our friend when it doesn’t become chronic.
- Boost brainpower. Moderate stress can stimulate the production of brain chemicals called neurotrophins that strengthen the connections between neurons in the brain.
- Helps your immune system. When stress occurs, the body prepares itself for injury or infection. It does this by producing interleukins, a chemical which helps regulate the immune system.
- Become more resilient. Practice makes for better outcomes and the same goes for stress. You start to learn how to manage stress better and have a better sense of control.
- Motivation to succeed. Good stress is called eustress and it is when you use that stress as a way to better manage your situation. This is achieved by rising up to the challenge rather than seeing it as defeat.
- It can enhance child development. If you are looking to become a mother, moderate stress during pregnancy can lead to children having greater motor and developmental skills.